Questions/Suggestions

May 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM
I posted on the support forums, but this discussion page seems to be more active so I'm reposting here.

Suggestions/Questions

Postby sittingduck808 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:17 pm

Hey,

Awesome program! Is it possible for the program display the latest activity of each player? I think tribalwarsmap.com shows the time since each player last gained points? It would be very useful if that information could be displayed along with each villages general info, similar to the feature in tribalwarsmap.com.

Another feature I think might be useful, is a section to add notes for each village/player. Being able to add and view notes as you scroll over each village would be cool.

Also, is it possible to highlight individual villages?

And, I am having some problems dowloading reports into the program. I'm currently playing on world 12. Is there anything I can try to solve this problem?

Thank you for your time and for offering this excellent program.
sittingduck808

Re: Suggestions/Questions

Postby bubaman on Sat May 03, 2008 2:58 am

All good suggestions, thanks! Your comments will remain here when new features are to be added.

As to the reports, the reports were a one off proof of concept that, although well accepted, i was not able to finish due to lack of time :( ... sad ...
bubaman
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions/Questions

Postby sittingduck808 on Thu May 15, 2008 6:12 am

Is there anything I can do to adjust the speed to world 12? I downloaded the data from world 12, but the travel times using the campaign attack planner are still based off world 3, I think.
sittingduck808

Developer
May 16, 2008 at 2:44 PM
The answer to your first question about displaying the activity of each player is no, or at least not in the near future.  It's not really something you can do without a server to hold that information separately.  If sometime in the future we get a server set up for the project we might be able to implement something like that, but right now there's other items that we need to address first.
Your second suggestion about being able to add notes to villages is definately doable.  Right now that's pretty far down on the list of things to do, but I'll keep it in mind when I get to the point I can add new stuff in.
No, it's not possible to highlight individual villages, just like in TW.  It's something that we could do, but there's generally not too much demand for that so if it's done it will be done much later.
And the reason you can't get reports is because we no longer have a server to store the information on.  It's looking to get the reports from the old server and it's no longer there so it gives you that error.  Fixing the reports is third down on my list, after refacting the code to make it more readable and then fixing the problem with not all the units being there.  What I plan on doing because we don't have a server is having it so that you can specify your own server that you can host the reports on and I may also have it so that you can store your own reports locally for those that can't get a server.

Hope that answsers your questions :)
May 17, 2008 at 7:46 AM
yea, aweome, thx.
May 27, 2008 at 6:36 PM
hosting one's own server via XP's IIS (or similar) with MSSQL 2005 Express would be a somewhat technical requirement for the average user, but I don't think it's unreasonable.  Whether one is hosting for themselves or an entire tribe, it ought to be a pretty straight-forward setup, given a database creation script and a set of basic ASP pages for posting reports. 
Developer
May 27, 2008 at 10:35 PM
Until we find a way to get a site to host all the stuff for this application people will just have to find their own ways to host information.  There's not much I can do about it besides give them the ability to connect to any server they want to use.  Now if at some point some nice person decides to host a site for everyone...then I'd be happy to help integrate that in the application :)
May 28, 2008 at 12:32 AM
the biggest question I have for the hosting of reports is what format is it looking for?   Even if I'm able to set up my own server, what's the report option looking for when it queries out to the server?  An SQL query result or a MEMO field with a copy-pasted report that it will parse on the client side or.. ?? 

I think most tribes could find some willing individual to host a few ASP pages and a MSSQL database for the tribe, provided a template set of asp pages.  Then, yes, an option tab allowing one to input the location of the reports server page(s) would be relatively easy to implement in the program and then it would be a matter of just supplying the pages for them to host on their own

Developer
May 28, 2008 at 1:46 AM
Well since you can use SQL commands to make tables, etc. it's not that difficult to make a small program that could set the database up for you as long as you provided it with the proper login credentials.  Or I could also just provide documentation with the program describing the database setup needed for the program.  ASP pages will probably be one of the last things done since those can be written independently of the program itself.  Anyone that wanted to could make an ASP page to access the data in the database once it's set up properly.  Eventually I'll probably write pages for it all, but that's not going to be any time soon so if the database stuff gets in the program you'd be best off making your own pages for now.
As far as what the reports will be looking for, I'll probably make it so that you can copy and paste a report straight into the program and have it parse the data into the database.  Any functionality beyond that you wanted to put on a web page would be up to whoever did the page.  Of course there's still plenty of stuff that's more pressing right now so it won't be any time soon I'll be able to do any of this.  If any one else is willing to put time into getting stuff done for the project you're more than welcome.  Any help is appreciated and needed.
Jun 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM
I know my way around SQL server and it would be pretty easy to scrip the database with a right-click command in Management studio.. ;)

I'd be willing to work on this...
Developer
Jun 4, 2008 at 2:05 AM
Sounds great.  If you write any stored procedures to get or insert data be sure to document those as well, I should be able to write code to put that into the database along with the tables, etc.
Jun 4, 2008 at 6:02 PM
well, I can't script the database without a copy of the structure.. ;)

Developer
Jun 4, 2008 at 10:13 PM
Structure?  What structure?  lol  You can make whatever structure you want.  I plan on redoing any code for databases that's in there right now anyways so I can change my structure what you do.  Doesn't need to be especially complex really, just easy to find what I need to get out.  I can just change anything I need to in your structure if it doesn't fit what's needed.
Jun 5, 2008 at 2:09 AM
Oh, I thought since there is a report repository with ASP pages and an sql database already coded on the twplus2.com site, it might be simplest to start from that working setup and tweak it... 
Developer
Jun 5, 2008 at 11:19 AM
I don't have those pages and as far as I know the sql database setup from when there actually was a database is gone.  You might be able to look at the code and tell what the database looks like.  If so then more power to you there.  The ASP pages shouldn't be difficult to make and there's actually a few things more I'd like to see done with that when it's redone.  If you can find the code for those pages you're more than welcome to use it, but I don't know where the code is.