Don't download world data upon startup

May 13, 2008 at 6:22 PM
Why not prompt the user, at startup, whether they'd like to download world data right then or not? 

When I change which world I'm downloading or when i restart after re-freshing world data and so on, the program basically forces me to download world data upon startup.  It seems like this only exacerbates the issue with too much downloading from the TW servers...  Until the .gz thing is implemented, for sure, it would probably help to NOT update world data upon startup.
Developer
May 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that too, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.  What I need to do is add a screen before the actually download asking if you want to download and then a cancel button during the download itself would be nice (not sure how easy that will be though).  If you REALLY don't want to download right now, then just disable your network connection before you start it up and then reenable it after it's up, that's the only way right now.
May 16, 2008 at 4:05 PM
How about a text box with a number in it representing the world from which data will be downloaded unless the SKIP button is pressed?  :)
Developer
May 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna do something about switching the worlds when I do the units.  It won't be a textbox though, probably a dropdown.