Feature Needed

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Tribal wars team asked us to put some kind of a system to prevent people from download the files more then once per hour to prevent overloading their systems.

They provide the datafiles as a curtesty, even for non premium account holders, therefore I think we should definatelly comply with their request and put something in.
Developer
Jan 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM
Is there an option that we can have a team conversation ?
Then we can talk about things that must be in TW++ and what can be updated...

But i take a look if i can write a code to update max once an hour.
Developer
Jan 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM
Edited Jan 12, 2008 at 1:10 PM
My msn : info@ex-releases.nl
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:05 PM
Just curious about development, and reading this...

I think it might even be better to store those files in a DB of some sort on a third party server, so TW++ could be used for hystoric viewing of the data as well.

Implement a user database, so they can save this onfo on their own system. You could easily download that data to the users database and provide only a limitid period of text files on the server.

Offcourse this would need some server cappacity on your end ;)

Developer
Jan 22, 2008 at 5:46 AM
Edited Jan 22, 2008 at 5:46 AM
I totaly agree with PLJ, but i don't think dat TW (Tribalwars) is going to do that...

But we can give it an try ^^
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2008 at 11:36 AM
well i am doing this for fun and already cover monthy website expencese but I certaily do not have funds to have a server with historic TW data :(

for that kind of stuff, I think twstats does a good job

PLJ wrote:
Just curious about development, and reading this...

I think it might even be better to store those files in a DB of some sort on a third party server, so TW++ could be used for hystoric viewing of the data as well.

Implement a user database, so they can save this onfo on their own system. You could easily download that data to the users database and provide only a limitid period of text files on the server.

Offcourse this would need some server cappacity on your end ;)

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:44 PM
It might be something you could have as an option locally. The World Data is around 7-10 M, and is all text and db ready. One could put a mysql or postgres or MSSQL server locally, and populate it with data.

It might have to be a separate project so this one doesn't get bogged down, but maybe consider hooks in this projects code to allow for expansion to a db backended data store.

It might benefit this project to backed the data in a SQL database or even a DB hash as there is a long load time at start. A DB backed might provide this project the ability to switch between worlds without having to update the data source location.

Definitely something for more down the road I think. Historical content would be a much larger task.
Developer
Feb 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM
I went the road of putting it into a MySql database but that requires users to setup MySql which was a downside (unless I have them connect to my server, which can get slow since I'm on a cable modem). I opted for the lowest common database possible which was Access. It's worked fine so far.